Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hemlock Grove



Netflix has made my life better.  Most of the movies and television I watch now come from that vendor.  I can’t complain about their latest foray into the media market, Hemlock Grove. 
HG is a series consisting of 13 episodes, all released at once.  That is very interesting.  I have watched Breaking Bad, the first two seasons of Dexter and Sons of Anarchy, the same way: each episode when I found time to set down and push play on the remote.  Netflix cut out the wait time. 
HG has received very mediocre reviews.  I dissent.  To be certain, it does not rank in the same category as the aforementioned series.  I have only seen the first three episodes, but so far the acting, dialogue, and story line fall well short of the Breaking Bad level of genius.  On the other hand, the cinematography is top shelf.  The scenes of the fictional Pennsylvania town in fall colors are breathtaking.  Every face and movement is alive with color and texture.  

I have thoroughly enjoyed each episode and I walk about craving for more.  I have not felt the slightest sense that the action is dragging, as many critics complain.  On the contrary, I find the pace exquisite.  Part of that is simply that I like the characters.  Landon Liboiron as Peter Rumancek, a gypsy lad who goes postal during each full moon is what I was in high school, except for the handsome, sexy, and werewolf things.  Bill Skarsgård as Roman Godfrey is a sort of younger, handsomer Steve Buscemi.  It isn’t clear yet what Roman is, but he can do Jedi mind tricks at the expense of the occasional nose bleed.  He has a straight out of Stephen King mom (Famke Janssen as Olivia Godfrey) who seems to have her own pars, as we say down south.  She was Jean in the X Men. 
Meanwhile we have a couple of refugees from Battlestar Galatica: Aaron Douglas as Sheriff Tom Sworn and Kandyse McClure as Dr. Clementine Chausser.  What’s not to like? 
The first three episodes already have given me one of the best werewolf kills and transformation scenes that I can remember.  The plot is rich with promise, including a mad scientist and a possible alien connection.  Again, what’s not to like? 
I will post again when I have digested the whole series.  If you have Netflix, get this series.  You won’t be disappointed.  Here is one last image to draw you in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment